Science Project Update

A bit over two weeks ago, I had started a “science” project to determine the germination period and conditions for pine cone seeds. It was actually the 18th of November. On the 27th, I already disposed of all 15 seeds from the mini greenhouse and four from the cubby. The ones in the fridge looked best.
Today, I checked again and most of the ones in the fridge had developed mildew. I saved four and put them into my last soil.

Stone pine seeds from the cubby

Stone pine seeds from the cubby

Stone pine seeds from the cellar

Stone pine seeds from the cellar

Yikes! Obviously, I dumped the ones form the cellar. The tissue paper was completely dried out. At least, now I know that my cellar is dry. I put the ones in the cubby back. Better not disturb them. It is rather cold there, depending on the temperature outdoors.

By the way, I used my last soil and last pot for the pine stone seeds. I had a pomegranate from Turkey some days ago and saved some seeds. I already have pomegranate saplings, but they are dwarf pomegranate (Punica granatum nana) and the one I ate is probably not the dwarf type. I don’t know which variety it is, I only know that the ones I saw in Turkey seemed to have a more intensive red color than this one.

Advertisements

One thought on “Science Project Update

  1. Pingback: New Seeds: Ginkgo – Ginkgo biloba | Mediterranean Bonsai

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s