Today I discovered that the last loquat seed has germinated. That means that 100% of the 20 seeds actually germinated in a period between 30 and 56 days. Not too bad.
I had dumped the three I had germinated in vermiculture, but I still have 20 seedlings. How’s that, you might wonder. It’s because loquat seem to be polyembryonic, just like lemons. You might be able to see that with the one on the bottom right corner. Three seedlings grow from one seed there.
I just realized today that I used the wrong word when I wrote about singling out the lemon seedlings during the weekend. I wrote re-potting which wasn’t quite correct. Sorry, my gardening English is developing the same speed my plants are. I hope I got it right now. Anyway, they actually moved to new pots…
Singling Out Seedlings
Lemon Seedling with roots
So, I got my bio-degradable pots today – 2o of them – and new soil. So I singled more lemon seedlings. I came across this nice example with some side roots, which I want to share. The others mainly had the one vertical root – I’m sure there is a special name for that too – and only rarely one more horizontal root. This one, however, had four or five horizontal roots. Good boy! (Or girl, or both…)
I like those bio-degradable pots. For one, they’re not made from plastic and their colour is kind of earthy and warm. The black plastic pots might have the advantage of turning the sunlight into warmth better and even storing that warmth a bit. The greatest advantage of the bio-degradable pots might as well be their greatest disadvantage: They’re bio-degradable! Who would have thought?! No, seriously, you don’t need to remove them for re-potting, they will degrade in the next pot. I’m just afraid that they will start degrading before their time because of the watering…For me, another advantage though is their size. Because they’re slightly smaller than the plastic pots, I can get more of them into the platter (is that the right word? the green bottom of my mini greenhouses).
Anyway, I will keep the plastic pots, in case I want to give the seedlings away next summer. I have way too many.
Time for an update. The pomegranate seedlings all have three pairs of leaves now. The lemon seedlings look very different, although the pips came from the same lemon, strangely enough. The left lemon seedling is the one I take … Continue reading →
As it got really crowded in the myrtle pot with already 10 saplings on 5 cm by 5 cm, I decided to take two out and put them into the eggcups I bought at Istanbul airport for this purpose. Well, not precisely this purpose, I bought them so they could be turned into bonsai pots for the seeds I brought from Turkey.
So, I took those two from the pot with all their “siblings” and put them into their new homes.
Myrtle Saplings in Turkish Eggcups
Then I decided to water my lemon pots again and lo and behold! I discovered that one of the seeds must have germinated one or two days ago! So the germination period of lemons seems to be two weeks upwards. I’ll see how many more will germinate.
At first, I wasn’t sure whether it was really one of the lemon pips that had germinated or some weed that had found its way into the pot, so I did some research and found this blog entry with photographs of lemon saplings and that confirmed the identity of my sapling to be a lemon as well. Yeah!
Lemon Sapling from Lemon Seed
I was surprised how strong its stem is. The ones of the myrtle and pomegranate saplings are about an eighth of that.
As I wrote in my wishlist, I want to grow bonsai lemon trees, preferably of the Sorrento lemon. However, as they only grow around Sorrento in Italy, they’re hard to come by, so I decided to try and germinate common lemons first. I “found” one lemon in the office kitchen, squeezed it and made myself a nice hot lemon – ginger – honey drink and put the seeds into water until work was finished. Then returned home, I put them into soil and into the mini greenhouse (which is now full, because the webcam and the thermometer needs space).
Only after I had sown those six seeds, I read up in detail about how to grow lemon trees from seeds. I had read that it is important to wash any remains of fruit sugar (fructose) off them, but they are slippery and always slipped from my hands.
Anyway, I read how to do it properly, and this is how to do it:
Get the seeds (or pips) from the lemon and immediately put them in your mouth. If you don’t accidentally swallow them, your saliva will clean them quite well, because the enzymes in your mouth are made for dissolving sugars. (That’s just what I remember form school; the tip about cleaning them in the mouth was form this blog post. I added the explanation myself.)
So I went to the organic supermarket and got myself a lemon and a lime. They also had quince, which is on my list as well, but they were from Austria and I only wanted Mediterranean seeds. The lemon and lime both were from Spain. Olé!
Back at home, I did as the lady from the other blog suggested. The organically grown lemon had many more seeds than the one I had taken from the office. About three times as many! The lime didn’t have any, though. I guess, it’s because it is a hybrid or something. I haven’t read up about that.
I put the seeds about 1 cm deep into the soil and watered the pot plenty. As the mini green house is full already, I decided to go for zip lock bags, three of them. I read that suggestion on yet another website. That one also said that it takes lemon seeds about 10 to 14 days to germinate.
By the way, I’ve created an excel table for all my seeds, where I enter name of species, date of sowing, expected germination date and actual germination date(s). Otherwise, I would have lost track of that already.
PS: I also bought an organic avocado from Spain today. The last one was from Chile. The Chilean tasted better, though…