I stopped the time-lapse project today, because the seedling was growing too tall and anyway, there was only waving about since the last couple of days. See for yourselves:
This time, I left the light on during the night (except for the first night). So, whenever you see a yellowish light, that’s night. There’s almost a complete day missing, because…now, let me think…it stopped recording and I hadn’t set my calender or something.
I used the Raspberry Pi Camera and the raspistill function again. One picture every 20 minutes this time.
When I looked at my ginkgo seedling in its egg carton pot today, I decided to do two things:
Re-pot it despite its young age and to make it the protagonist of my next time-lapse video.
The re-potting gave me the opportunity to take a picture of it in its full dimension, roots and ginkgo seed and all. And quite a strong root it has compared to lemon trees, for example.
Setting Up The Time-lapse Project
RPi Camera setup
Then I set upon arranging for the next time-lapse video. Made some place for the ginkgo pot and the Raspberry Pi with the camera module.
This time, I tried to get a better image section right from the start. Last time, in the time-lapse of the lemon seedlings, they grew to tall for the section.
I encountered a bit of a snag when I entered the source code into the Raspberry Pi command console: I wanted to take pictures for 40 days, but apparently somewhere between 21 and 28 days, there’s a limit. So I settled for 21 days. However, I have already made a note in my calender 21 days from now to restart the sequence. A picture will be taken every 2 hours.
So, in the end, the command line runs as follows
raspistill -o ginkgo%03d.jpg -tl 7200000 -t 1814400000 -w 1280 -h 720
After about four weeks of taking a picture every hour, I’ve compiled a timelapse video of some of my lemon tree seedlings.
There were eight seeds in the pot and I’m happy to announce that all of them have germinated. The last one only today, when stopped taking the pictures, so it isn’t visible in the video.
I will repot some of them (the taller ones) tomorrow.
The pictures where taken with the Raspberry Pi and RPi Camera Module. The code used was
raspistill -o lemon%04d.jpg -tl 360000 -t 2419200000 -w 1280 -h 720 -ISO 200
The “-t” value might have been a bit different. I used VirtualDub to render it as a video and Magix to edit the video.
DIY Window Sill Expansion
I have been busy today to build this wooden expansion for my window sill. I used only wood I had left over from previous projects and it is only stable as long as it is fitted neatly into that window.
You can also see my LEGO® construction for the Raspberry Pi which I use to take pictures of the first lemon tree every hour. I’ve planned on taking 600 pictures, which is 25 days. The plant itself is hidden behind a wall of white LEGO® bricks, so the sun can reflect back on it. Not that there is much sun these days…That’s why I added the lamp, which is connected to a timer to extend the day for a few hours. Just an ordinary lamp from IKEA (LAGRA), not a special plant light.